(Click on a piece for more information)
Welcome to my fiber world.
Contact Jeanette Kelly at
Although I was drawn to fiber from an early age which encompassed dime store printed cross
stitch pillow cases and granny square afghans, I started seriously working in fiber from an
artists’s perspective about 20 years ago. I began in the areas of jewelry and art clothing. I sold
ethnic inspired pieces and participated in a variety of clothing and jewelry competitions and
exhibitions. In the last few years, my interests and work have shifted primarily to wall and
dimensional pieces which include vessels and figures.
I work in fiber because of the aesthetic appeal to the senses. The textures and patterns ,
when combined with color merge into a medium of both tactile and visual pleasure. I love the
fabrication process whether dyeing, silkscreening, piecing or appliquéing, using silks or cottons
or even paper. Embellishment using thread, beads, wire or non traditional elements continues to
be an exciting exploration.
My inspiration comes from both visual and internal reactions to experiences. Sometimes
I am inspired by a place or object, my photographs or sketches, words or ideas and sometimes a
tactile or visual experiences with the materials themselves. The resulting work can range from
representational to abstractions.
I like working in ways that result in inviting you the viewer to the dance..to be a partner
in constructing the reality of the pieces when seen through your own experiences or emotions.
Welcome to the dance.
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Art Quilters As Story Tellers, Shannon Center Lobby Gallery
six artist exhibit April-May 2010 Whittier, CA
- The Noble Seasons-Summer CA, NJ, OH, CO, PA, VA . Invitational 20010
- Detours, Quilts on the Wall,IQF Long Beach CA. Houston TX. Juried 2009
- Art2Wear Accouterments: Ontario International Airport, City of Los Angeles Department
of Cultural Affairs, Ontario, CA 2009
- SAA Squared, small works in fiber. Avenue 50, Highland Park, California 2009
- The Noble Seasons-Spring CA, NJ, OH, CO, PA, VA . Invitational 2009
- Anything Goes, The Folktree, Pasadena CA , Invitational 2008
- The Noble Elements-Air CA, NJ, OH, CO, PA, VA . Invitational 2008
- Artistic Designs in Fiber, Alex Haleigh Gallery, Gardena, CA. 2008
- Whittier Art Gallery Whittier, CA 9008-2010
- Fiber Fest Santa Monica, CA 2006
- Slice Of California, Traveling Exhibit, Multiple Venues 2006
Selected Publications and Awards
- Dream Embellishments, by Rose Hughes, Martingale Press 2010
- Hillcrest Festival of the Arts, La Habra Heights, CA 2nd, H.M. 2008-2009
- Art Quilts, La Habra Art Association Gallery, La Habra, CA 1st and 2nd 2005